[R] Retrieving latitude and longitude via Google Maps API

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 22:04:29 CET 2010

Hi Benjamin,

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Nutter, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience retrieving latitutde and longitude for
>> an address from the Google Maps API?

This thread from r-sig-geo may be of interest:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2010-March/thread.html#7788

Hope this helps,
Michael

>> I'd like to have an R script that submits a street address, city, state,
>> and zip code and returns the coordinates.  So far, I've been submitting
>> the coordinates from another program, then loading the coordinates in R
>> and merging them back into the data frame I want to use.  It'd be nice
>> to be able to do it all in one script, but I'm not comprehending the API
>> thing very well.
>>
>> I'm using R 2.9.1 on Windows XP.  Any suggestions or pointers?
>>
>> Benjamin
>>

>>  Benjamin Nutter |  Biostatistician  |  Quantitative Health Sciences
>>  Cleveland Clinic  |  9500 Euclid Ave.   |  Cleveland, OH 44195  |
>> (216) 445-1365
>>

>> ===================================
>>
>> P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
>>
>> Cleveland Clinic is ranked one of the top hospitals
>> in America by U.S.News & World Report (2009).
>> Visit us online at http://www.clevelandclinic.org for
>> a complete listing of our services, staff and
>> locations.
>>

>> Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use\...{{dropped:13}}

Michael Denslow

I.W. Carpenter Jr. Herbarium [BOON]
Department of Biology
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina U.S.A.
-- AND --
Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org

36.214177, -81.681480 +/- 3103 meters