[R] Conditional Variable Assignment

Hosack, Michael mhosack at state.pa.us
Tue Mar 16 20:58:13 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

Once again I am stuck with a problem I can't seem to
figure out. I suppose this learning curve levels off
eventually, lol. I am learning on my own with absolutely
 no background in programming, so if I seem to request
help a lot it's not because I am seeking others to do
 the work for me. I need to assign one of two arrival
times to the 'ARRIVE' variable of my dataframe, and
I want a value assigned only to the first element of
each 'MM' by 'DD' variable grouping. The value used
(either 0700 or 1430) will be conditional on the value
 in the 'TOD' variable, such that if 'TOD' == 1,
'ARRIVE'<-0700, and if 'TOD'==2, 'ARRIVE'<-1430. I
want the remaining three 'MM' by 'DD' values for
each unique grouping to remain "NA" for now, because
I intend to calculate them later. I have tried
ifelse statements with ddply, for loops, etc. to
no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike