[R] [R-SIG-Mac] How to interrupt an R process that hangs

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 22:38:37 CET 2010

On 15-Mar-10 21:10:03, Matthew Keller wrote:
> Hi all,
> Thanks for the responses. Ted - thank you for your help. I had
> to laugh. I'm no computer guru, but I do know unix well enough
> to know not to type "<PID>". But then again, my original code
> did contain a matrix with >>2^31-1 elements, so maybe your
> assumption was reasonable
> ;)

Well, it was a "just in case" assumption, not based on a prior!

> Anyway, all your kill statements merely kill R, script included,
> which doesn't really do what I'd like.

On the matter of killing an R script, I have tested kill -s INT
with a script "test.R":

  while(TRUE){ x <- 1} ## trivially light-weight, but ...

And then, in R,

  source("test.R")

It duly puts the command prompt to sleep. WHen I type ^C at the
keyboard, it stops and the command prompt returns.

So I start it again, and this time from another console enter

   kill -s INT  13863

(the PID for that instance of R) and again the script is interuppted
and the command prompt returns. So this adds weight to the theory
that your script (for some reason) is not interruptible, i.e. R
is not able to apply the INT to the script.

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 15-Mar-10                                       Time: 21:38:33