[R] R on Linux - a primer

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 20:43:21 CET 2010

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Jonathan Baron wrote:

> Just to make this thoroughly confusing, I will say that I am very happy
> with Fedora

Just to make this less confusing: choose Ubuntu.  I say this because it is
easy to use, has great repositories and it is the most popular Linux
distro, so it should be easy to get help with it.  I have been running it
on a number of machines doing a few different kinds of tasks and it has
almost always been very easy to install.  I'm also happily running the
Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a little Asus EeePC netbook.  To install R, just
use the Synaptic program:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

It couldn't be easier.

I don't work for Ubuntu and I don't have any friends or relatives working
there either.

Mike