[R] Assigning a sequence to a subsetted data frame variable

Hosack, Michael mhosack at state.pa.us
Mon Mar 15 18:45:09 CET 2010

Hey folks,

I have a difficult (at least for me) problem that I was hoping
one of you may know how to solve. I want to assign a sequence
to subsets of a variable in a data frame based on date.
The variable is 'SITE1' and the date is a unique day (DD) and
month (MM) combination. The sequence contains site numbers 101:104,
and each day-month combination takes four site numbers from that
sequence in an order dependent upon which site number is listed.
For example, I need a sequence of 101,102,103,104 if 101 is the
number listed, 102,103,104,101 if 102 is the number listed, 104,101,
102,103 if the 104 is the number listed for a given DD MM combination,
etc. As a further example, for every sequence that happens to be 102,102,102,102
for a MM DD combination I want to replace it with 102,103,104,101.
Please see the attached partial dataframe. Any help would be
greatly appreciated. I have tried creating a function using seq()
and then using ddply, and also writing a loop with no luck.

Mike