[R] Robust estimation of variance components for a nested design

David Atkins datkins at u.washington.edu
Sat Mar 13 16:55:07 CET 2010

Sue--

Check out the heavy package on CRAN, which implements the robust
mixed-effects models that Andy mentioned.  The package is relatively new
and is still being developed, but worth a look.

cheers, Dave

I believe Pinhiero et al published a paper in JCGS a few years back on
the subject, modeling the random effects with t distributions.  No
software were publicly available, as far as I know.

Andy