[R] please, cant install rodbc into R-project

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Mar 12 14:48:15 CET 2010

On Mar 12, 2010, at 12:58 AM, maysider wrote:

> I have working unixODBC (tested isql), but rodbc does not want to
> install....Ive read the manual how to install rodbc, but I am not linux user
> so I do not understand well. Can anyone write me the necessary steps?
>
> thank you

>> install.packages(c("RODBC"))
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> trying URL 'http://mirrors.softliste.de/cran/src/contrib/RODBC_1.3-1.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 990220 bytes (967 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 967 Kb
>
> * installing *source* package ‘RODBC’ ...
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 143: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 144: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 220: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 143: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 144: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 220: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 143: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 144: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 220: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 143: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 144: make: command not found
> /usr/lib64/R/bin/config: line 220: make: command not found
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RODBC’
> * removing ‘/usr/lib64/R/library/RODBC’
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>        ‘/tmp/Rtmp8YrphM/downloaded_packages’
> Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
> Warning message:
> In install.packages(c("RODBC")) :
>  installation of package 'RODBC' had non-zero exit status

You appear to be missing the required programming development tools (C compiler, make, etc.) which are needed to install RODBC on Linux. The RODBC source package contains C code, which requires local compilation during installation.

You have not told us which Linux distribution you are using and the details of how to go about installing these other components are dependent upon knowing that.

If you have access to a local Linux expert/SysAdmin, I would recommend seeking them out to assist you with this.

See the Posting Guide for more information on how to help us help you:

HTH,

Marc Schwartz