[R] logistic model diagnostics residuals.lrm {design}, residuals()

Chaudhari, Bimal Chaudhari_B at kids.wustl.edu
Thu Mar 11 21:25:37 CET 2010

I am working on applying Sequential Multiple Decision Procedure to
genetic association studies of complex disease.  Province in 2000
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11108641) developed the method for
QTL linkage and Province and Zhang extended it to association with
quantitative traits in 2005.  My interest is in binary outcomes.

The original formulation of the SMDP (Bechhofer, Kiefer and Sobel, 1968)
was predicated on comparing parameters from Koopman-Darmois
distributions.  In that text, they present solutions for normal,
exponential, Bernoulli, poisson and negative binomial distributions.
Province and Zhang exploited the fact that residuals from linear
regression are normally distributed to apply SMDP to the analysis of
these residuals (specifically, they use the case of comparing the
variances of several random variables drawn from normal distributions
with the same known mean, 0, and unknown, unequal variances to identify
the set of random variables/residuals with the smallest variance).

My hope initially had been that I might be able to essentially replicate
this approach with an analogous measure/residual, but this has proven to
be more difficult than anticipated.

-bimal