[R] Ubunut + Eclipse + StatET: Console terminates upon error

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at openanalytics.eu
Thu Mar 11 20:23:17 CET 2010

Hi Dirk, Janko,

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 11 March 2010 at 19:19, Janko Thyson wrote:
> | I'm trying to set up Eclispe (3.5.1) with the StatET-Plugin (0.8.1) under
> | Ubuntu (Karmic) and found it strange that my console terminates every time
> | something in a script produces an arbitrary error (e.g. just calling a
> | missing variable, trying to perform an illegal operation etc.). Can anyone
> | tell me why this happens or even better how to fix this?

I never experienced such behaviour and use Eclipse/StatET daily on
Ubuntu Karmic. I did experience weird UI behaviour once (related to
a GTK bug) and currently use this

#!/bin/bash
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
/opt/eclipse/eclipse -debug -consolelog -vmargs -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m
-XX:MaxPermSize=2048m

to launch eclipse (never mind the insane vmargs ;-)

While we're at it: if you have the choice, you can upgrade to Eclipse
3.5.2 (i.e. Galileo SR2) and to StatET 0.8.2 (which is available via the
update site at

http://download.walware.de/eclipse-3.5

)

> It so happens that I help a colleague recently to triage this.  The problem
> there was that a recent rJava was needed + and installed -- and on Ubuntu and
> Debian this goes into
>
>        /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/
>
> and StatET -- as shipped -- does not look there.  I don't use Eclipse so I
> don't recall where to set this, but in essence you need to make sure that
> StatET looks where R puts things. And that tends to be

The libraries can be set (and auto-detected) when defining an R
environment in the Preferences under StatET > Run/Debug > R
Environments.

The R environment for a particular R Console Run Configuration
is in turn set in the R Config tab (of the named Run Configuration).

>     R> .libPaths()
>     [1] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library" "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
>     [3] "/usr/lib/R/library"
>     R>
>
> CCing Tobias just in case.

Don't hesitate if there would be further questions. There
also is a dedicated StatET user list at