[R] Help function "?" in R 2.10.1

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Thu Mar 11 16:11:59 CET 2010

Hi,
(answer below)

Le 3/11/2010 16:03, Uwe Ligges a écrit :

> On 11.03.2010 15:58, S Ellison wrote:
>> R starts its own mini web server which parses the raw text pages
>
> No, actually it uses the parsed form of the Rd files anmd renders them
> in either html or other formats...
>
>> and serves them as HTML. It does so using a particular randomly
>> chosen port number on 127.0.0.1 (localhost). The port number is
>> listed in the message 'if nothing happens, you should open ....'
>>
>> followed by a url to paste into your browser.
>>
>> Paste the url into your browser.
>>
>> If that message isn;t appearing, something more complicated is wrong!
>

> Maybe one of your packages is installed with R < 2.10.0 ? In that case
> it is not aware of the new help system and you get a cooresponding
> message when loading the package.

This could actually be the problem since it does not happen anymore
(I've reinstalled many packages some time ago under R2.10). Maybe it
solved the problem without me really thinking about it!

Thank you all
Ivan

> Uwe Ligges

>> Well, when I try to access help files (not all of them actually) without
>> internet connection, I don't get anything.
>> What is it related to then?

>>> No, it's all local, but you do need a web browser if you want to view
>>> the HTML help.  If you don't want the HTML help, you can set the help
>>> type to "text" using
>>>
>>> options(help_type="text")
>>>
>>> Then ?help will show you more options.
>>>
>>> Duncan Murdoch

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231