[R] Help function "?" in R 2.10.1

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Mar 11 10:30:10 CET 2010

Hi

r-help-bounces at r-project.org napsal dne 11.03.2010 10:08:58:

> Hi,
>
> I think you do need an Internet connection to access the help files with

> R2.10.

I presume the OP is working with Windows. I do not think Internet
connection is necessary. It is necessary to have some browser installed.
However the new html help system is not at all easy to set.

I would try to do

help.start()

and then try to issue any help command

?plot

It helped me once on some machine.

On my work computer I can not start html help system as something is wrong
with my system and IT guys are reluctant to try to repair it as all other
things work. (On other PCs there is no problem). So I need to use text
help, which is my second suggestion.

Change
options(help_type="text")

in Rprofile.site file.

Once helped me also to include 127.0.0.1 address to proxy server setting.

But as I said, it is probably much more problematic to set the new html
help system properly.

Regards
Petr