[R] penalized maximum likelihood estimation and logistf

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Tue Mar 9 18:22:02 CET 2010

Let us look at a piece of the relevant code from "logistf" package:

        iter <- iter + 1
        XW2 <- crossprod(x, diag(pi * (1 - pi))^0.5)
        Fisher <- crossprod(t(XW2))
        covs <- solve(Fisher)
        H <- crossprod(XW2, covs) %*% XW2
        if (firth)
            U.star <- crossprod(x, y - pi + diag(H) * (0.5 -
                pi))
        else U.star <- crossprod(x, y - pi)
        delta <- as.vector(covs %*% U.star)
        mx <- max(abs(delta))/maxstep
        if (mx > 1)
            delta <- delta/mx

First, note that this is inside an iterative loop.  The Fisher information matrix is first formed, and then it is inverted to get `covs'.  This is where it can get troublesome.  It is very likely in your case that the `Fisher' information matrix is ill-conditioned, and hence `covs' cannot be computed.  Consequently, the steplength `delta' for the Newton method cannot be determined.

Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine