[R] ggplot2 rose diagram

Tim Howard tghoward at gw.dec.state.ny.us
Tue Mar 9 15:25:42 CET 2010

Dear R gurus -

consider this plot:

library(ggplot2)
dat <- sample(1:8,100,replace=TRUE)
smp <- ggplot(data.frame(dat), aes(x=factor(dat),fill=factor(dat))) + geom_bar(width=1)
smp + coord_polar()

Q1. How do I change the font size and weight of bar labels (1,2,3...)?  I've been wallowing in the 'Themes' structure and I just can't figure out the correct place to change the definitions. Along these same lines, what does 'strip' mean when referring to strip text?

Q2. How can I move the legend defining bar height into the plot, so that it overlays the lines they refer to?

Consider the same figure using Circstats:

library(CircStats)
dat.rad <- (dat*((2*pi)/8)) -(2*pi)/16
rose.diag(dat.rad, bins = 8)  #note the origin is to the right rather than on top

Q3. The key difference is that CircStats uses an area-based calculation for the size of each slice, which makes for a different presentation than ggplot2. Any suggestions on how to use this calculation method in the ggplot framework?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tim Howard
New York Natural Heritage Program