[R] Type-I v/s Type-III Sum-Of-Squares in ANOVA

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:10:56 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:03 AM, S Ellison <S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk> wrote:

>>There's also a serious question about whether one would
>>be interested in main effects defined as averages over the level of
> the
>>other factor when interactions are present.
>
> My personal take on this particular chestnut is that I often want to
> ask something about the relative size of the effects. If the so-called
> "main effect(s)" is/are very much larger than the interactions, one may
> be able to make generalisations which have practical use.

Sure. But if there is an interaction, main effect generalizations are
going to be less precise than generalizations based on simple effects.
I agree that there are some situations in which it makes sense to
ignore a small but significant interaction, but I think this should be
a rare exception to the rule "don't interpret main effects in the
presence of an interaction".

-Ista

If the effects