[R] two questions for R beginners

kMan kchamberln at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 05:04:21 CET 2010

John,

I felt a short, somewhat strong reply was in order. One of the inherent
aspects of the language is that R demands more of an understanding from
users about what is taking place. Model formulae, for example, are close to
what one would use if they were to write the model on paper. I consider this
a strong feature. The confusing aspects that you point out are not the
result of syntax. Syntax in R is well specified and, I believe, far easier
to work with than many programming languages.

English is a confusing language. C++ is a confusing language. One may have
far more success learning, say, French if he/she does not like the syntax or
grammar of English, or visual Pascal if the syntax of C++ is not preferred,
rather than changing the language. If one wants to do business in a
particular area, then it generally behooves one to suck it up and learn the
native tongue or hire someone for that part. If one wants the program that
is the standard for other world class statistics packages, which also
happens to have a very amendable license agreement, then it behooves one to
suck it up and learn R.

R is what it is. If someone does not like it, he/she can use something else,
pay far more for an inferior product which will also take longer to do a
calculation and handle less data at once, while risking that the content of
their understanding of statistics is diminished for it. Not that there is
not room for development in R, but the sort of development you demand will
evolve according to similar laws as those that govern economics and/or
change in spoken language.

You'd need major financial backing, and a strong influence over the culture
of those who use R to pull this off. Other than that, you'll have to wait
for the dialect to change over time from the cumulative effect of
contributions from people the world over who all want something different
out of the language.

If someone wants to take on the R challenge for him/herself, however, then
there is likely no better technical support in the world than the R
community, albeit perhaps after dispensing with some of the niceties.

Sincerely,
KeithC.