[R] two questions for R beginner

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Tue Mar 2 15:01:05 CET 2010

Brandon Zicha wrote:
> Hey Paul,
Hey Brandon, (adding R-help in the cc)

I agree with you that the documentation of R could be better, especially
with more examples in code showing not only the common cases, but also
more esoteric cases. It would be great if everyone invested a lot of
time to write awesome documentation, but this is not the case. I just
objected to the tone (I tought :)) I spotted. Some more comments are inline:

> Accepting the main point of my post - that the often VERY incomplete
> help files appended to packages can be a major stumbling block for
> getting up and running in R - I take your point.  I probably went a
> bit to far with my language there.
>
> I would point out though that a great many parts of research (like
> writing a bibliography - or searching for citations of any kind
> usually) aren't much fun, but are an important part of research
> related work.  Likewise, complete documentation (by which I hardly
> mean a paper - looking at STATA help files as a minimum would be a
> good start) is part of programming.  I agree that one needs to employ
> some level of judgement, otherwise you will get helpfile that says
> "First turn on the computer... then click the 'R' Icon...."  But, I
> have myself created one or two STATA functions that I have put up for
> public use - so I know how not fun, but necessary complete
> documentation is.  Further, I didn't say that writing documentation
> doesn't take time.  Everything takes time. My point was that relative
> to actually creating the application - writing more complete
> documentation takes very little time. If one invests the time to do
> the 'fun' stuff of writing a new package for R, it seems reasonable
> that taking the (proportionately) little time to write a nicer help
> file would be the most 'professional' thing to do.  But, this could be
> my illusion that all researchers seem themselves as professionals -
> rather than an anarchic egoistic enclave of independent
> self-interested paper producers.
This is what scientists get judged upon, not on how much software they
publish and how good their documentation is. Furthermore, it is quite
hard for a hardcore R programmer to judge what people find har about
their software.
> I am notorious for assuming greater standards as an acceptable 'norm'
> than my community at large :-)  Furthermore, you are absolutely right
> that my standards are apparently even to high for many commercial
> applications!  R help is sometimes downright good!
>
> So, if I accept that I am demanding S.O.B. and tone down my thoughts
> of proper documentation and professionalism and adopt the (probably
> more) reasonable perspective you do at the end of  "well, this is the
> world we live in... and come on it's free" I totally agree that I
> probably went too far!  But, better yet, I think that this observation
> you make suggests a solution: Perhaps R could use a more integrated
> and organized open source help system. I can think of a few
> possibilities - the easiest being a wiki version of R help.  This way
> users could add useful information to help files - such as more
> examples, tricks, tips, and known problems.  This would take advantage
> of the open source, free, user-community centered aspects of R, and
> permit those with an interest in helping beginners to post notes for
> beginners - on the help files.  I know that if such a wiki existed I
> would have posted my recent example of constrain optimization I just
> did recently.   It wouldn't be too difficult to add a function
> wikihelp(X) that would open the wiki help page rather than the
> standard help documentation.  Currently, help on any given command is
> scattered all over help fora all about the web.  A central, indexed,
> and easily referenced help system might be a solution.  Heck, such a
> system could go a step further and link R-help listserv archives by
> command thus centralizing and integrating the open-source user-built
> information resource of the listserv into help().  How many e-mails to
> this listserv begin with 'I just spent a few hours cruising the help
> forums related to 'X' and couldn't find an answer.'
Sounds like a good addition, allowing people to add to the documentation
as they see fit. There is ofcourse the R wiki, but this is not widely
used and not firmly embedded into R itself. But how would we keep such a
system you propose manageable, preventing it from becoming an enormous
mess. Maybe some kind of moderation?

> I note that STATA has all their help files for the latest version of
> stata available on the web (http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?contents).
> How difficult would a similar system - only with R, editable and with
> links to supplementary information - be to set up?  I can't imagine it
> would be horribly expensive in terms of set up costs.
A problem is that there is no company that markets R that could set this
up, the community is much looser, much more open source. Probably the R
core team would be the closest thing we have.