[R] Finding Lower Envelope of Points on a Plot?

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 23:26:57 CEST 2010

I think this has reached the point where it is absolutely necessary
for Asha Sharma to state *exactly* what is meant by a "linear lower
envelope" of a set of points. There are too many possibilities for
the problem as stated so far. For instance (possibilities which have
not been considered so far):

[1] A straight line which is such that any point which falls below
it is "censored" and so would not be present (but this would seem
to be inconsistent with Asha's proviso of "a specified percentage
of points allowed to lie outside it");

[2] A line parallel to the regression line, but displaced downwards
in such a way as to exclude a ceretain percantage of ths points
(i.e. such that that percentage lie below the line); but this does
not match my own usual interpretation of "envelope" (which is such
that it is a boundary for the positions of the points, as in [1]).

And so on ...
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 30-Jun-10                                       Time: 22:26:54