[R] Correctly plotting bar and scatter chart on 2-y axis plot with par(new=T)

dan.weavesham dan.weavesham at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 30 20:43:50 CEST 2010

Greg,

Just a quick one to say thanks for helping me out with my 2-y axis query --
your solution works a treat.

However, 2 extension points I was wondering if you could help with:

- 1/ Is there any way to invert the 2nd y axis -- i.e. highest entry at the
bottom of the axis? I can see that the updateusr takes a range as its input,
but can't see a way to fix the values. Any thoughts?
- 2/ I'm trying to organise 6 of these charts onto one plot using
par(mfrow=c(2,3), oma = c(0.5,0,1,0)), etc. I'm drawing the 2nd y axis'
label using mtext("Number of birds",  EAST <-4, at=55, line=2.25, cex=1,
col="black"). Do you have any advice on how combine these charts into one
chart, so that the x axis on each is legible (without resorting to the
suggestion of "buy a very wide monitor" !!).

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dan