[R] Solution to differential equation for nls function

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Jun 30 17:39:04 CEST 2010

Yes, there is an analytical solution.

Here is how you do it:

bernoulli_anal <- function(t, R0, Rmax, a, b) {
# Note:  a, b, R0, Rmax all have to be positive (strictly > 0)
R1 <- R0 / Rmax
k <- R1^b / (1 - R1^b)
R <- Rmax / (1 + exp(-a*b*t)/k)^(1/b)
return(R)
}

R0 <- 1
Rmax <- 2
a <- 0.5
b <- 1.0

t <- seq(0, 10, length=1000)
y1 <- bernoulli_anal(t, R0, Rmax, a, b)
y2 <- bernoulli_anal(t, R0, Rmax, a, b=0.5)
y3 <- bernoulli_anal(t, R0, Rmax, a, b=1.5)
y4 <- bernoulli_anal(t, R0, Rmax, a, b=2)
plot(t, y1, type="l", ylab="R(t)")
lines(t, y2, col=2)
lines(t, y3, col=3)
lines(t, y4, col=4)