[R] integration of two normal density

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Mon Jun 28 18:47:21 CEST 2010

Isn't it equally trivial to demonstrate that the product of two pdfs
_may_ be a normalized pdf? For example, the uniform (0,1) pdf:

f(x) = 1 for x in (0, 1), and 0 otherwise

Hence, g(x) = f(x)*f(x) = 1 for x in (0, 1), and 0 otherwise _is_ a
normalized pdf.

But this is a little silly. Rather than memorize answers to questions
like "is the product of pdfs also a pdf?", we ought to be confident in
the properties of pdfs (i.e. not the answers, but the means to arrive at
answers).