[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:27:09 CEST 2010

2010/6/25 Frank E Harrell Jr <f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu>:
> The central limit theorem doesn't help.  It just addresses type I error,
> not power.
>
> Frank

I don't think I stated otherwise. I am aware of the fact that the
wilcoxon has an Asymptotic Relative Efficiency greater than 1 compared
to the t-test in case of skewed distributions. Apologies if I caused
more confusion.

The "problem" with the wilcoxon is twofold as far as I understood this
data correctly :
- there are quite some ties
- the wilcoxon assumes under the null that the distributions are the
same, not only the location. The influence of unequal variances and/or
shapes of the distribution is enhanced in the case of unequal sample
sizes.

The central limit theory makes that :
- the t-test will do correct inference in the presence of ties
- unequal variances can be taken into account using the modified
t-test, both in the case of equal and unequal sample sizes

For these reasons, I would personally use the t-test for comparing two
samples from the described population. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers
Joris

--
Joris Meys