[R] Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata...

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 13:15:10 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)
<muenchen at utk.edu> wrote:
> come up with so far at http://r4stats.com/popularity . I'm sure people
> will have plenty of ideas on how to improve this, so please let me know
> what you think.

This is not much of a metric, probably not even a ballpark, but I have
a habit of measuring the popularity of a software by the number of
unread messages in my mail account, sent to one of its main mailing
lists. For example, I subscribed to Gentoo, Xfce and LyX MLs much
earlier than to that of R, but R quickly and surpassed all in number
of unread messages. At the moment I have the following: R ( 37k), LyX
(10k), Debian (7k), Xfce (<3k), Geany (.5k). I dare say that R might
be more popular than Debian, but again, any such estimation seems
farfetched.

Regards
Liviu