[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 00:42:39 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM, David Winsemius
<dwinsemius at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2010, at 6:09 PM, Joris Meys wrote:
>
>> I do agree that one should not trust solely on sources like wikipedia
>> and graphpad, although they contain a lot of valuable information.
>>
>> This said, it is not too difficult to illustrate why, in the case of
>> the one-sample signed rank test,
>
> That is a key point. I was assuming that you were using the paired sample
> version of the WSRT and I may have been misleading the OP. For the
> one-sample situation, the assumption of symmetry is needed but for the
> paired sampling version of the test, the location shift becomes the tested
> hypothesis, and no assumptions about the form of the hypothesis are made
> except that they be the same.

I believe you mean the form of the distributions. The assumption that
the distributions of both samples are the same (or similar, it is a
robust test) implies that the differences x_i - y_i are more or less
symmetrically distributed. Key point here that we're not talking about
the distribution of the populations/samples (as done in the OP) but
about the distribution of the difference. I may not have been clear
enough on that one.

Cheers
Joris