[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

Atte Tenkanen attenka at utu.fi
Thu Jun 24 21:36:18 CEST 2010

> On Jun 23, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Atte Tenkanen wrote:
>
> > Thanks. What I have had to ask is that
> >
> > how do you test that the data is symmetric enough?
> > If it is not, is it ok to use some data transformation?
> >
> > when it is said:
> >
> > "The Wilcoxon signed rank test does not assume that the data are
> > sampled from a Gaussian distribution. However it does assume that
> > the data are distributed symmetrically around the median. If the
> > distribution is asymmetrical, the P value will not tell you much
> > about whether the median is different than the hypothetical value."
>
> You are being misled. Simply finding a statement on a statistics
> software website, even one as reputable as Graphpad (???), does not
> mean that it is necessarily true. My understanding (confirmed
> reviewing "Nonparametric statistical methods for complete and censored
>
> data" by M. M. Desu, Damaraju Raghavarao, is that the Wilcoxon signed-
>
> rank test does not require that the underlying distributions be
> symmetric. The above quotation is highly inaccurate.
>
> --
> David.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't follow the reference at all, but I read this in that way that I can be carefree as far as the underlying distribution is concerned?

Is there any other authoritative reference where that is just stated in a way "test does not require that the underlying distributions be   symmetric or normal".

Atte