[R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 18:54:40 CEST 2010

There is a potentially useful remark from Peter Dalfgaard at
http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch/msg86359.html :

Summarising:
"[The Wilcoxon paired rank sign test assumes symmetry]
...of differences, and under the null hypothesis. This is usually
rather uncontroversial. "

My rider to this: It's uncontroversial because differences between
random samples from the same asymmetric distribution would form a
symmetric distribution of differences, and the null for the wilcoxon is
essentially that the distributions are the same. Symmetry of differences
at the null follows.
BUT the corollary is that location might not be the only thing that can
cause a wilcoxon test to show a significant difference.

set.seed(1023)

x<-rlnorm(50)
z<-rlnorm(50, sdlog=3)
z<-z-mean(z)+mean(x)

mean(x)
mean(z)
#Same mean..

wilcox.test(x,z)
#Strongly significant test result.

#Not a perfect example, as the test relates to true means, not data set
means.
#But very different skew and scale will make for a very significant
test result as well as very different means

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:16 AM, Atte Tenkanen <attenka at utu.fi> wrote:
> PS.
>
> Mayby I can somehow try to transform data and check it, for example,
using the skewness-function of timeDate-package?