[R] trouble building R on solaris

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Thu Jun 24 01:32:46 CEST 2010

On 06/23/10 11:08 PM, Mathew Fox wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just changed from linux to a solaris server and I'm having trouble
> building R from source.

First, you might be better posting on r-devel. I know this seems unuual, and
installation problems are usually handled on the help or support lists, but R
appars to want to do things differently.

R seems problematic on Solaris though I have personally managed to build it
(just) on Solaris 10 SPARC. This has been on

* Solaris 10 03/05 - the first release of Solaris 10
* Solaris 10 05/09 (update 7)
* Solaris 10 update 8 - the latest release of Solaris 10

but some of the recommended modules are not building, so whilst 'make' runs ok,
'make test /make check' fails.

R 10.2.1 is used as part of the Sage maths project. It's build with a
configuration file, the contents of which I've attached.  'SAGE_LOCAL' is a bit
like /usr/local, where things like iconv, readline etc are put. It's a directory
off of a users home directory, so he/she can write there.

I doubt it is the reason, but I'm surprised you are trying to build with a
mixture of GNU and Sun compilers.

The setup which semi-works for me (R at least builds) is

R 2.10.1
iconv-1.13.1
readline-6.0
disabled ICU
gcc 4.4.1, gcc 4.4.4 have both been used.
In each case gcc is configured to use the Sun linker and the Sun assembler - not
the GNU ones. I would suspect a gcc issue if you have the GNU linker in particular.

Configured with: /export/home/drkirkby/gcc-4.4.4/configure
--prefix=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-multilib --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
--with-gmp=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-multilib
--with-mpfr=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.4-multilib --disable-nls
--enable-checking=release --enable-werror=no --enable-multilib
--with-system-zlib --enable-bootstrap --with-gnu-as
--with-as=/usr/local/binutils-2.20/bin/as --without-gnu-ld --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.4 (GCC)

R is now configured for sparc-sun-solaris2.10

   Source directory:          .
   Installation directory:    /export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.4.4.alpha1/local

   C compiler:                gcc -std=gnu99
-I/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.4.4.alpha1/local/include
-L/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.4.4.alpha1/local/lib/
   Fortran 77 compiler:       sage_fortran  -g -O2

   C++ compiler:              g++  -g -O2
   Fortran 90/95 compiler:    sage_fortran -g -O2
   Obj-C compiler:

   Interfaces supported:      X11, tcltk
   External libraries:        readline, BLAS(ATLAS), LAPACK(generic)
   Additional capabilities:   PNG, JPEG, TIFF, NLS
   Options enabled:           shared R library, R profiling, Java

   Recommended packages:      yes

configure: WARNING: you cannot build DVI versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: you cannot build DVI versions of all the help pages
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of the R manuals
configure: WARNING: you cannot build PDF versions of all the help pages
make[2]: Entering directory
`/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.4.4.alpha1/spkg/build/r-2.10.1.p2/src'

'sage_fortran' is an script which invokes the GNU fortran compiler. I wish Sage
did not do that, but it does.

I've noticed a few minor errors in the R manual for Solaris, and have posted
these once to r-help and twice to r-devel, and so far have had little feedback,
other than to post them to r-devel when I posted first to r-help.

There's a couple of R bug-releated things in Sage

Solaris 10 on SPARC
There's a build log:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mpatel/trac/8306/r-2.10.1.p2.log

OpenSolaris on x64

If you manage to get any further, please let us know.

If any serious R developer needs access to a SPARC, I can arrange access on a 16
core Sun T5240. Drop me a private email.

Dave