[R] random sequence

status at quo.org status at quo.org
Tue Jun 22 13:15:22 CEST 2010

Hi Barbara,

You could use:

samples = matrix(rep(0,(5000*40)),ncol=40)
for(i in 1:5000) {
    samples[i,] = sample(1:40,40)
}

This will give you a matrix of samples, one per row. The second term in
the "sample" function is the length of your sequence. By default "sample"
samples without replacement, so there won't be any duplicates.

The "for" loop is generally slower than using "lapply", but for just 5000
samples it won't make much difference.

Cheers,

Matt Asher
StatisticsBlog.com