[R] how to efficiently compute set unique?

G FANG fanggangsw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 07:56:15 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I think I figured out what's the problem. I have been a matlab user,
so in all my codes, I maintain the as.matrix format, which is much
slower to do unique.

I tried to not do the as.matrix conversion, and now it takes just few
seconds to do unique, as well as other computations.

Thanks a lot Duncan, Steve, David, and Douglas,

Hopefully, this case can also help future matlab->R users who got
stucked in the matlab thinking style.

Gang