[R] {Spam?} Re: mgcv, testing gamm vs lme, which degrees of freedom?

Carlo Fezzi c.fezzi at uea.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 18:54:26 CEST 2010

Hi Joris (CC Simon),

Thanks for your kind replies and for being so responsive.

I think this post boils down to two main questions (which I feel are very
important for gams modelling):

1- Is it appropriate to use LR tests in "gamm" to test model reduction?
2- If yes, which degrees of freedom should be used?

I do not think we should always use the df from "model$lme". For example,
compare the two models (again my first example for the data generation):

f1 <- gamm(y ~ s(x, k=2, bs="cr"), random = list(id=~1), method="ML" )
f2 <- gamm(y ~ s(x, k=10, bs="cr"), random = list(id=~1), method="ML" )

The difference between the two models is in the random effects. Model "f2"
has, if I interpreet correctly the output, 7 random effects more than the
model "f1", but the fixed effects are the same. So the H0 = "the 7 random
effect are not significant". In this case the (app.) likelihood ratio test
should have 7 df... is my interpretation correct?

On the other hand, to compare the following models:

f3 <- gamm(y ~ x + I(x^2), random = list(id=~1), method="ML" )
f2 <- gamm(y ~ s(x, k=10, bs="cr"), random = list(id=~1), method="ML" )

Model "f3" has 1 more fixed effect than model "f2", but model "f2" has 7
more random effects... again, if I understand correctly the output. In
this case I don't know if we can do a LR test, the model are not strictly
nested I think...

What do you think?

Again many thanks,

Carlo