[R] Cforest and Random Forest memory use

Raubertas, Richard richard_raubertas at merck.com
Fri Jun 18 21:48:32 CEST 2010

Max,
My disagreement was really just about the single statement 'I suspect
that >1M points are pretty densely packed into 40-dimensional space' in
your original post.  On the larger issue of diminishing returns with
the size of a training set, I agree with your points below.

Rich

There is probably
> > some analytic result from the theory of coverage processes
> about this,
> > but I just did a quick simulation.  If a million samples
> are independently
> > and randomly distributed in a 40-d unit hypercube, then
> >90% of the points
> > in the hypercube will be more than one-quarter of the
> maximum possible
> > distance (sqrt(40)) from the nearest sample.  And about 40%
> of the hypercube
> >
> > will be more than one-third of the maximum possible
> distance to the nearest
> > sample.  So the samples do not densely cover the space at all.
> >
> > One implication is that modeling the relation of a response
> to 40 predictors
> >
> > will inevitably require a lot of smoothing, even with a
> million data points.
> >
> > Richard Raubertas
> > Merck & Co.
> >
> >> Do you loose much by sampling the data set
> >> or allocating a large portion to a test set? If you have
> thousands of
> >> predictors, I could see the need for so many observations, but I'm
> >> wondering if many of the samples are redundant.
> >>
> >> Max

> >> 'max', testtype =
> >> savesplitstats = FALSE,mtry =

> >> 40+ variables,

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachme...{{dropped:11}}