[R] Using R to solve search problems

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Fri Jun 18 14:23:37 CEST 2010

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Ambikesh Jayal wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to R and want to use R to solve search problems (like Traveling
> salesman problem, finding nearest neighbor, hill climbing). Is this possible
> in R?

For the "TSP" there is a dedicated package of the same name on CRAN. For
the other algorithms, there seem to be various implementations around but
(AFAICS) dedicated to special tasks. You might want to try RSiteSearch()
to look around yourself. Furthermore, you might find the "Optimization"
task view helpful, see
   http://CRAN.R-project.org/view=Optimization

hth,