[R] Reading data from xls..........please help

Joris Meys jorismeys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:02:03 CEST 2010

If you're on windows and you never installed perl, then you don't have
it. Another easy way to find out is to type "perl" in the search
window under the start menu. If there's no perl.exe on your computer,
you don't have it.

Take a look at : http://www.perl.org/

If you download Perl, it doesn't really matter that much whether you
take the strawberry or the Activestate version. I took the
ActiveState, but feel free to differ.

http://www.activestate.com/activeperl

Cheers
Joris

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Christofer Bogaso
<bogaso.christofer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Possibly I donot have perl. I am not sure although.
> How I can find whether I have it? If I dont have it then where can I
> download it from?
>

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
> b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Christofer Bogaso
>> <bogaso.christofer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can anyone help me how to read xls file into R. I have tried following
>> >
>> > library(gdata)
>> > xlsfile <- file.path(.path.package('gdata'),'xls','iris.xls')
>> > read.xls(xlsfile)
>> >
>> > I got following error:
>> > Converting xls file to csv file... Error in system(cmd, intern =
>> !verbose) :
>> > perl not found
>> > Error in file.exists(tfn) : invalid 'file' argument
>> >
>> > Question *1) What is the way to get it working?*
>>
>>  Works for me on an Ubuntu 9.10 with R 2.10.1, so swapping your OS and
>> R version to that will get it working... What OS/R are you on?
>>
>>  Note it says 'perl not found'. That's because it hasn't found perl.
>> Do you have perl on your system? Do you need to specify the path to
>> perl, as in the examples for Windows in help(read.xls)?
>>
>> Barry

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Ghent University