[R] [OT] Oo-calc & StAtistics

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Jun 17 22:36:27 CEST 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Ted Harding wrote:

> The thread "R licensing query" currently running has raised
> the classic critcisms of using Excel for statistics.
>
> I was wondering: Has anyone applied the same or similar set
> of tests to OpenOffice "calc"?
>
> Or would the Executive Summary be: "Calc is just like Excel"?
>
> (Not that I'm a spreadsheet user, if I can avoid it; but I
> sometimes get asked about such things).
>
> Sorry to be completely non-R here, but I can't think of a
> better place to ask!
>
> Ted.

Ted,

The most recent work on this that I know of, that includes Calc, is:

On the Numerical Accuracy of Spreadsheets
Marcelo G. Almiron, Bruno Lopes, Alyson L. C. Oliveira, Antonio C. Medeiros, Alejandro C. Frery
JSS
Vol. 34, Issue 4, Apr 2010
http://www.jstatsoft.org/v34/i04

There have been some discussions on R-Help in the past (circa 2003), which I have participated in, which discuss some of the faults in Calc, such as rounding numbers "close to 0" to 0 (like Excel does) and some of the non-IEEE 754 floating point behavior (like Excel does)...

HTH,

Marc Schwartz