[R] an alternative to R for nonlinear stat models

Prof. John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Wed Jun 16 15:30:55 CEST 2010

I'd echo Paul's sentiments that we need to know where and when and how R goes slowly. I've
been working on optimization in many environments for many years (try ?optim and you'll
find me mentioned!). So has Dave Fournier. AD Model Builder has some real strengths and we
need Automatic Differentiation in R -- hence the Google Summer of Code project in which
I'm mentoring Chillu (see the R Wiki for some info on this). But it will be a while before
we really have really good interfaces to such capability. There is already some capability
for ADMB. Dave F. may even agree with me when I suggest that most users find ADMB and
indeed most optimization tools quite an effort to use.

Moreover, there's a general feeling that to "go fast" you need to "go C". Yet my package
Rcgmin is all in R, and does large-n optimization via a more modern CG method than optim's
CG (I've primary rights to complain as the latter is based on my own code.) Yet on some
fairly common test problems it often goes extremely fast. We're talking 3 seconds to
minimize a function of 5000 parameters on an Asus netbook (with analytic derivatives). BUT
... sometimes I can slow it down by just changing the starting vector.

We're statisticians -- so let's make sure the sample is large enough and representative
enough. But my main messages here:

  - we need to know about the problems and have them available to use as tests
  - we should aim for easy-to-use and consistent interfaces to the R tools so we are
not having to constantly write "glue" code to get things to work and additionally put
ourselves at risk of introducing errors.

JN