[R] memory management in R

john mullers at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 16 12:20:17 CEST 2010

I have volunteered to give a short talk on "memory management in R"
   to my local R user group, mainly to motivate myself to learn about it.

The focus will be on what a typical R coder might want to know  ( e.g. how
objects are created, call by value, basics of garbage collection ) but I
want to go a little deeper just in case there are some advanced users in the
crowd.

Here are the resources I am using right now
  Chambers book "Software for Data Analysis"
  Manuals such as "R Internals" and "Writing R Extensions"

Any suggestions on other sources of information?

There are still some things that are not clear to me, such as
  - how to make sense of the output from various memory diagnostics such as
        memory.profile ... are these counts?
        How to get the amount of memory used: gc() and memory.size() seem to
differ
 -  what gets allocated on the heap versus stack
 - why the name "cons cells" for the stack allocation

Any help with these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks greatly,

John Muller