[R] an alternative to R for nonlinear stat models

Paul Hiemstra p.hiemstra at geo.uu.nl
Wed Jun 16 09:36:24 CEST 2010

On 06/16/2010 07:35 AM, benedikt.gehr at ieu.uzh.ch wrote:
>     Hi
>     I implemented the age-structure model in Gove et al (2002) in R, which is a
>     nonlinear statistical model. However running the model in R was very slow.
>     So Dave Fournier suggested to use the AD Model Builder Software package and
>     helped me implement the model there.
>     ADMB was incredibly fast in running the model:
>     While running the model in R took 5-10 minutes, depending on the settings,
>     in ADMB it took 1-2 seconds!
>     I'm reporting this so that people who have performance issues with nonlinear
>     statistical models in R will know that there is a good free alternative for
>     more difficult problems.
>     There  is also a help platfrom equivalent to the one for R, and people
>     running it are extremley helpful.
>     I hope this might help someone
>     cheers
>     Beni

Hi Beni,

Thanks for posting information that might be useful for people on the
list. The only thing is that without a little more detail on how exactly
you implemented things in R, we are left to guess if the performance
issues are a problem of R, or that your particular implementation was
the problem. There are was of implementing R code in two ways, where the
first takes minutes and the second 1-2 seconds. Furthermore, you are
giving us no option to defend R ;).

cheers,
Paul

--