[R] Times series data file?

Douglas M. Hultstrand dmhultst at metstat.com
Mon Jun 14 22:45:02 CEST 2010

Hello,

I currently splitting a file into individual files (time series each
separated into one file), the file I read in skips the first four lines
and extracts the data columns I need.  I was wondering if there is a way
for R to automatically scan and separate the files based on the head
information?

The header delineates the observation with a 254 space time space day
space month space year.
254      0     26      NOV    1995

I would like to then use the program I have written to do the analysis.
I have attached a small subset text file of data (two observations).
Any thoughts would be very helpful.

# Read in data file
data <- read.table("file.txt", skip=4, header=F)
temp <- data$V4
elev <- data$V3

Thank you,
Doug