[R] lme command

Enrico Colosimo enricoc57 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 15:37:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am doing a longitudinal data set fit using lme.
I used two forms of the lme command and I am
getting two different outputs.

FIRST
out<-lme(Altura~Idade+Idade2+sexo+status+Idade:sexo+Idade:status+Idade2:sexo+Idade2:status,
random=(list(ident=~Idade+Idade2)))

SECOND
out<-lme(Altura~Idade+Idade2+sexo+status+Idade:sexo+Idade:status+Idade2:sexo+Idade2:status,
random= ~Idade+Idade2|ident,data=dados)

I got weird results from the first one and could not understand the
reason of it. All the results are
exactly the same but  the intercetp, and the two main terms sexo
(gender) and status (treatment).
That differences made a lot of difference in the final results.

Anybody can tell me what is the differences  between them?
Thanks.

Enrico.