[R] lmer() with no intercept

Meyners, Michael meyners.m at pg.com
Mon Jun 14 09:49:09 CEST 2010

John,
Why would you want to fit the model without intercept if you seemingly need it?
Anyway, I assume that the intercept from your first model just moves into the random effects -- you have intercepts there for worker and day, so any of these (or both) will absorb it. No surprise that the estimates for the covariates only differ slightly, it should be that way.
What you plot (your second call to panel.lines) is not the correct model, as you omit the intercept from the work and day (which is 0 or at least pretty close to it if you include the overall intercept in your model). That's why your red line is on the top edge (note that the intercept is negative).
I'm therefore not sure that the model without intercept makes a lot of sense, but you consider posting related questions rather to the mixed-models SIG, where you might get more erudite comments than from me.
HTH, Michael