[R] Can one get a list of recommended packages?

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Jun 12 15:37:32 CEST 2010

R 2.10.1 is used in the Sage maths project. Several recommended packages
(Matrix, class, mgcv, nnet, rpart, spatial, and survival) are failing to build
on Solaris 10 (SPARC).

We would like to be able to get a list of the recommended packages for R 2.10.1,
but ideally via a call to R, so it is not necessary to update that list every
time a new version of R is released. We do not want to access the Internet to
get this information.

Is there a way in R to list the recommended packages?

Better still, is there a way to list the recommended packages which have not
been installed, so getting a list of any failures?

Dave