[R] Compiling R with multi-threaded BLAS math libraries - why not actually ?

Matt Shotwell shotwelm at musc.edu
Sat Jun 12 05:01:39 CEST 2010

In the case of REvolution R, David mentioned using the Intel MKL,
proprietary library which may not be distributed in the way R is
distributed. Maybe REvolution has a license to redistribute the library.
For the others, I suspect Gabor has the right idea, that the R-core team
would rather not keep architecture dependent code in the sources,
although there is a very small amount already (`grep -R __asm__`).

However, I know using Linux (Debian in particular) it is fairly
straightforward to build R with `enhanced' BLAS libraries. The R
Administration and Installation manual has a pretty good section on
linking with enhanced BLAS and LAPACK libs, including the Intel MKL, if
you are willing cough up $399, or swear not to use the library
commercially or academically.

Maybe a short tutorial using free software, such as ATLAS would be
suitable content for an r-bloggers post :) ?

Matt Shotwell
Graduate Student
Div. Biostatistics and Epidemiology
Medical University of South Carolina