[R] R can't find gcc library that other programs can.

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Jun 12 03:32:28 CEST 2010

R is used in the Sage project. R is building on Solaris 10 with SPARC
processors. Until recently, I did not give it much more thought, as it appeard
to build ok.

More recently someone noticed a test failure. It would appear a number of
modules are not building (Matrix, class, mgcv, nnet, rpart, spatial, and
survival) are all failing to build. But the R build process does not terminate.
Is that intensional?

The way the build is failing is very odd indeed.

  ld.so.1: R: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

This is despite the location of libgcc_s.so is specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
numerous other parts in Sage link to this library ok.

There's some information about the issue here

Does anyone have any suggestions? In particular, do you consider the failure of
one or more of those modules sufficiently serious that the build of R should
stop, or do you consider some failures like this not so serious, and so it is
right for the build to continue? (The reason I want to know this, is that we
want to test for this failure in Sage. Depending on the seriousness of this, we
make break the build if such a module fails, or we may decide to continue, and
test things later, where a test failure would not stop Sage working.

Dave