[R] OOP and passing by value

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Wed Jun 9 15:17:23 CEST 2010

I think you should be interested by section 5.4 (non-local assignments;
closures) in Chamber's "Software for Data Analysis" book published in
2008 by Springer
(http://www.springer.com/statistics/computanional+statistics/book/978-0-387-75935-7).

Besides the solution proposed in the book, which uses assignment outside
functions, there is another possibility: environment objects. They are
passed by reference and there are tricks to use them in this situation,
but you have to be extremely careful because you break the rules for
functional programming.

Don't forget generics like "Data<-" to assign in R. See for instance
help("names<-"). This is the most conventional and easier way to do this.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean