[R] scatterplot function - double check: dashed lines

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Jun 8 21:39:40 CEST 2010

While it is possible to set your own dash patterns as you show below, it is unlikely that the resulting graph will be very meaningful.  Most people cannot keep the detailed dash patterns separate, and if they need to refer to a legend then it makes it even harder (See Bert Gunter's rant on the "Symbols in R" thread).

If the curves are distinct enough it is best to just have them all black and solid and label the different lines.  If that does not work then maybe using trellis style graphs where each line is in its own panel would be better (and still solid).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center