[R] as.integer

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Mon Jun 7 22:58:30 CEST 2010

Usually when read.table converts numbers to factors it means that there is a problem in the data file, an extra character somewhere.  It is best to fix the problem in the source data (or a copy of the source data) so that the data imports properly rather than try to fix it post hoc.  If that is not an option, then you can specify the colClasses argument to read.table to make sure that it reads the data into the type of variable that you want.  If you really need the post read.table solution, then lapply will run the same function (as.integer) on each column of a data frame (element of a list).

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org