[R] sem R: singular and Could not compute QR decomposition of Hessian

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Jun 6 22:38:24 CEST 2010

Dear Ana,

I copy here the response that I sent to you directly, for the other people
reading this thread on r-help:

"I've now had a chance to look at your model. Because of its unusual
structure, it's hard for me to know its identification status. For example,
you specify that almost all of the exogenous latent variables are
uncorrelated with each other. Similarly, you've specified that the exogenous
observed variables, y1, y2, y3, y8, y9, and y10, are uncorrelated. Not only
do these restrictions make it hard to figure out identification, but they
also make it very unlikely that the model will fit the data reasonably; in
fact, I'd be very surprised -- identified or not -- whether the model can be
estimated. Although I haven't demonstrated that it is underidentified, the
model has a very large number of latent variables, 11, relative to the
number of observed variables, 22, and two of the latent variables, N4 and
E6, are tied to only one indicator each."

In addition, as explained in ?sem, C is the reproduced rather than directly
observed covariance matrix covariance matrix of the observed variables. From
your remarks, the observed covariance matrix S is close to singular, but not
exactly so. That sem computes a singular C (after how many iterations?) may
reflect an underidentified model, as would aliased parameters. It is odd
that you seem to get different results with the same input, but I suspect
that you mean that you get different results for slightly different models,
though all of them possible symptoms of underidentification.

Regards,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster