[R] Error Bar Issues

beloitstudent schurrk at beloit.edu
Sat Jun 5 18:09:22 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I am an undergraduate student who is having syntax issues trying to get
error bars on my graph.

This is the data, which I assigned the name "Saline" to.
 Time       Average       SEM
1   -20      0.000000     0.0000000
2
3    30      0.000000     0.0000000
4    45      3.227902     0.7462524
5    60      5.066664     1.1623944
6    80      6.107491     1.5027762
7   110     6.968231     1.3799637
8   140     7.325713     1.2282053
9   200     7.875194     1.1185175
10  260    6.513927     0.5386359
11  320    4.204342     0.6855906

This is the command that I typed in to get my error bars.

plotCI(x=Saline [,1],y=Saline [,2], uiw=Saline [,3], liw=uiw, err=y, pch=21,
pt.bg=par("bg"), cex=1.5, lty=1, type="o", gap=0, sfrac=0.005,
xlim=c(-21,340),xaxp=c(-20,320,11), xlab="Time (min)", ylim=c(0,12),
yaxp=c(0,12,11), ylab="Arterial Plasma Acetaminophen (µg/mL)", las=1,
font.lab=2, add=TRUE)

And this is the error message I keep getting
Error in plotCI(x = Saline[, 1], y = Saline[, 2], uiw = Saline[, 3], liw =
uiw,  :
  object 'uiw' not found
In addition: Warning message:
In if (err == "y") z <- y else z <- x :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used

Now, to me, the command seems correct.
I want the error bars to show up where the points on my graph are...so the x
coordinates should be my time (aka Saline [1]) and the y coordinates should
be my Averages (aka Saline [2])  and my upper and lower limits to my
confidence interval should be the SEM from Saline [3], but something is
wrong with this and I cannot figure out what it is.  If anyone has
suggestions I would be very grateful.  Thanks for your help!

beloitstudent