[R] R linux install: FORTRAN compiling error

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Thu Jun 3 19:59:03 CEST 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, vaneet wrote:

> Is there any way I can get an RPM that has all the necessary packages built
> in to install and run R? Or do I have to find all these packages that are
> needed to install these 'R' rpms for which many are not found on the
> FedoraProject website (libgfortran, gcc-fortran....).  Also which 'R' rpm
> would I use to simply run R on the linux machine, would it be R-core?

This is really a usage issue of Fedora and its package
dependency solving and retrieval tool 'yum' and of the
author's unfamiliarity with the tools

> error: Failed dependencies:
>        R-core = 2.11.0-1.el5 is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        bzip2-devel is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        gcc-gfortran is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        libX11-devel is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        pcre-devel is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        pkgconfig is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        tcl-devel is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        tetex-latex is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64
>        tk-devel is needed by R-devel-2.11.0-1.el5.x86_64

All of these except 'R-core' are present to a base Fedora or
RHEL system through use of that 'yum' tool (which is somewhat
like 'apt-get' for those from a Debian background; the R-core
pachage is almost certainly adjacent to the R package you are
trying to install

The suggestions of others about ancient versions and so forth
are speculation, and not accurate, and acting to take
'curative steps' upon such speculation will almost certainly
damage the integrity of a RHEL installation

I build, and 'spot' of Red Hat build R packages that install
without issue on Fedora, and for me, for CentOS [a community
rebuild of RHEL]   While I have not had occasion to build the
latest release over the weekend, I am certain I shall without
a need for the invasive changes noted

There is a support list for just this in the R list heirarchy,
to which such questons might properly be taken
 	r-sig-fedora.r-project.org
which is not limited solely to the Fedora users of the RPM
packaging system

-- Russ herrold