[R] help in expression( )

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Jun 2 20:52:12 CEST 2010

On 02.06.2010 20:22, Shant Ch wrote:

> Hi,
> I was trying to have a graph whose axes are of the following type:
>
> X axis: n and Y axis: var[U ((a,b) in suffix, and (n,d) in the power)].
>
> U ((a,b) in suffix, and (n,d) in the power)-        U^(n,d) _ (a,b).
> Actually I require many plots involving different values of a,b,n,d, so need to keep this complicated notation.
>

> The code I used:
>
> plot(n, hn$h_pg,  ylab=expression(Var(U[2%,%1]^(n%,%0))-Var(U[1%,%1]^(n%,%0))), xlab="n",type="l");

   plot(1, 1, ylab = expression(var(U[list(a,b)]^(list(n,d)))),
        xlab = "n", type = "l")

or if you want to replace a, b, d, and n by values, use:

   a <- 1
   b <- 2
   d <- 3
   n <- 4

   plot(1, 1, ylab = substitute(var(U[list(a,b)]^(list(n,d))),
                                list(a=a, b=b, d=d, n=n)),
        xlab = "n", type = "l")

> The expression() didn't work out for this case. Can anyone help me out.
>
> Also due to the size of the expression in the Y axis, I want to shift the graph in the R Graphics window, so that the Y labels are also fully visible. i don't know such command which will shift the whole graph a little in the  Graphics window.

Define other margins, see argument "mar" in ?par, e.g.

   par(mar=c(5,5,4,1)+.1)

Uwe Ligges