[R] glmnet strange error message

Dave_F friedenbergd at battelle.org
Wed Jun 2 18:51:53 CEST 2010

Hello fellow R users,

I have been getting a strange error message when using the cv.glmnet
function in the glmnet package. I am attempting to fit a multinomial
regression using the lasso. covars is a matrix with 80 rows and roughly 4000
columns, all the covariates are binary. resp is an eight level factor. I can
fit the model with no errors but when I try to cross-validate after about 30
seconds I get the following:

> glmnet.fit = glmnet(covars,resp,family="multinomial")
> glmnet.cv = cv.glmnet(covars,resp,family="multinomial",type="class")
Error in if (outlist$msg != "Unknown error") return(outlist) :
  argument is of length zero

It seems like it makes it through the first couple folds but trips up
somewhere in the middle.
The example in the documentation works perfectly on my machine. Any ideas on
what the problem may be?

Thanks!
Dave